Friday, June 3, 2022

Day 183: Connecting Route, Polk County

Day 183: Friday, June 3rd, 2022

Total Miles covered for the day: 0.7; Net Miles 0.0

LocationThe Connecting Route between the Pine Lake Segment and the McKenzie Creek Segment
0.7 Miles of trail covered

Well, this wasn't very good planning. 

Two weeks ago Theresa and I were in Polk County hiking off the new piece of the St. Croix Falls Segment, part of the Gandy Dancer Segment and several bits of connecting route. I drove home on that Sunday alone while Theresa stayed out in Luck to finish walking the area that I managed to finish before her. 

What I should have done, if I had a brain in my head, was drive over to this little piece of connecting route on my way home and do a quick out-and-back. It's what Theresa did on her way home that week, and so I was now faced with seven tenths of a mile of hiking to do in Polk County that Theresa had already completed. This was 56 miles and over an hour's drive west of anything else I had left to cover. 

Two hours of extra driving to walk 0.7 miles of rural road. I'm not going to pretend I was happy to have discovered that ten days ago. 

So here we were on a Friday night driving 170 miles all the way out to Polk County to close out a tiny gap and bring the trail closer to home. I walked south to north, not that there's much distinction in that. I finished at 9:09 pm and snapped this photo of the sign to commemorate the amazing adventure.  


Together we drove back Cornell for an overnight. Tomorrow I would be doing the other connecting route that Theresa had already hiked but I had bicycled in June of 2021, one week shy of exactly one year ago.  

The tally:

  • No new Snails today
  • Completed map 4
  • Completed Polk County
  • Converted 0.7 miles of biking to the 'hiked' category
  • 234.8 miles to go

Running Total: 1212.2 miles of trail covered (902.2 hiked), 197.0 miles 'extra' hiking/biking. End of Day 183.


No comments:

Post a Comment