Saturday, June 18, 2022

Day 195: Connecting Route, Chippewa County

Day 195: Saturday, June 18th, 2022

Total Miles hiked for the day: 8.0; Net Miles -1.7 

Location: The rest of the Chippewa-Langlade Connecting Route, from the Intersection of County D and 150th Ave to the intersection of County H and County F. 
8.0 Miles of trail covered

Yesterday we hiked our farthest point away from home, down in Portage, mostly because the weather up here in Chippewa County was uncertain. They did get rain, but not a lot. There was another reason we held off on coming out here yesterday - more on that in a bit. Today,  the connecting route out here in Chippewa County was now our furthest point away from home, so after spending the night at our base camp (home) we came rolling out here this morning to finish this one off. 

The official recommended route between the two end points we needed to stitch together travels south of Otter Lake, going all the way down to 130th Ave and then working back north again to 155th Ave, then back south to 150th. This was a full 4.2 miles longer than the northern route, and neither one of us were in the mood to waste our time like that. Even if I would have been capable of going the full 12.2 miles today, I didn't want to, and I doubt Theresa would have been able to make the trip. We're just too doggone tired and footsore, not to mention any of our other aches and pains. 

So we decided to hike the shorter route today, something we have done very, very little of. But first, and this was all Theresa's doing, we drove into Cornell and stopped at Dylan's Dairy for an ice cream cone and to talk to Linda, the owner. We had such a great time the last time we were here listening to live music in the outdoor seating area that Theresa had cooked up a nice surprise for Linda. She bought a couple dozen really nice steak knives for the restaurant, the kind with thick wooden handles and beefy blades. This was in response to a story Linda had told us earlier, and when Linda opened the gift she just about broke into tears. 

We told her that we were out here for the last time, hiking off the last of the miles in Chippewa County, and we wouldn't be back until the next time we came out here camping at Brunet Island State Park. We also told her that we were planning on coming back for some of her famous Saturday Night Prime Rib. She said she would be sure to save us a couple. 

After another stop at a local Amish farmhouse store for some baked goods and handmade soap, we were back out to the road to start crisscrossing our way over the last 8 miles. 

We worked out way east to west, along the route outlined below. 



Once more, and possibly for the last time, I started my day by touching the sign in front of the Otter Lake Bait and Camp Store. It was 11:55 am, and it was 75 degrees on the way up to 80 today. Even so, I was wearing a light layer with a hood and long sleeves in the hope of preventing further sunburns on my arms and neck. They weren't bad yet, and I wanted to keep it that way. 

First to the boat landing, then further down the road, Theresa chose short distances to park the car and hike back towards me. This made our interactions more frequent and kept us both closer to the car at all times. It was only eight miles, but those miles were feeling longer every day out here in the sun.


The road out here is very flat, since we're walking around the edge of a lake. 



And there was actually quite a bit of shade to be had in places. 


It was easy to see water as we walked, and the birds and frogs were in evidence. I even got a chance to watch a grouse fussing about in the leaves about 10 feet off the road. I think it was trying to keep me away from it's nest. 



As I walked, I started having those 'Random Road Hiking Thoughts', so I posted them to Facebook. Those posts are definitely getting some readership. It seems everyone connects with one thought or another. 

Random road hiking thought #1: I am walking on pavement. Where do those rotten tiny stones in my shoes come from?


Random road hiking thought #2: Yes, I bit my lip. You'd think my tongue could stop 'discovering' the fact over and over again.


Random road hiking thought #3: Sometimes the shortest route really is the best route.


Random road hiking thought #4: A prolonged close encounter with a hen ruffed grouse is absolutely worth 10 miles of hiking in the sun.


Random road hiking thought #5: Most fish parents never see their offspring.


Random road hiking thought #6: There is a point where the 'good' shoes become the 'old' shoes. It can happen gradually or all at once depending on which animals have been sharing the path.

This particular thought occurred to me as I was shaking off the horse dung I had accidentally stepped in.


Random road hiking thought #7: I have no memory of blinking over the last hour.


Random road hiking thought #8: I am suddenly aware that I blink a lot.


West of Otter Lake County Park, the road turns to gravel, but its fairly well graded, and the walking wasn't too bad. It was a little soft, but not to the point where we really sunk in. Theresa had gone to her umbrella - I was still in my hood.


Random road hiking thought #9: I wonder what infrared would look like if I could see it?

How have I made it only three miles so far? Can that be real?


Random road hiking thought #
10: When you moo at cows do they think you have a funny accent?

I try to stop thinking randomly when I get to 10. Here is a nice road sign for a local establishment. If this is the sign, I'm wondering what the tavern looks like.


Once in a while I am blessed with the opportunity to take a fabulous photo of a flower. This is a hedge bindweed, also known as a wild morning glory. 



Less than four miles to go.

Lots of soft, recently graded gravel out here. 


And I just happened to spot this tiny, little piece of copper on the roadbed. 


Finally, back onto the pavement, and a little shade near the river. I absolutely loved this part of the hike, because I could hear the stream rushing along over the rocks just west of the road. 


When we made it to 150th Avenue we were back on the official suggested route. We had 1.7 miles left to go, and had shaved 4.2 miles off the route. 

Crossing the bridge over the Yellow River was really interesting. On the south side of the bridge you could see the exposed bedrock upon which this river flows. 



 I saw this little friend as I walked, but I left her alone. 


But then I spotted several hundred of these, and I was compelled to see if it would let me pick it up. 



It did. 


And I managed to get some really good photos. 



With one mile to go we were both feeling the tug of the end of the road. 



And then we were done. At 4:30 pm we had reconnected and I drove us back down to the sign for a photo. This was the end of the hiking day for us. Two maps finished and another county crossed off the list. Now it was time for dinner. 



We drove back into town and headed straight back to Dylan's Dairy, where Theresa and I both ordered the Queen Cut Prime Rib, medium rare. And. It. Was. Delicious. I have a feeling she held out two particularly large cuts for us. And of course it was served with the new steak knives on the side.


We were also unsurprised that Vicki Christensen came down to join us after dinner. She came by to say hello one more time and help us celebrate finishing that part of the trail.

As long as we were at it, we added a family of Snails while we were there.


Relaxing on the patio. 


Homeward bound. Tomorrow is another hiking day.

The tally:

  • Six new Snails
  • Completed the Chippewa-Langlade Connecting Route
  • Completed maps 18 & 19
  • Completed Chippewa County
  • Converted 8.0 miles of biking to the 'hiked' category
  • Subtracted 1.7 miles from our total, after adding and subtracting how far we really walked versus how many miles we had taken credit for in the past.
  • 119.1 miles to go
Running Total: 1212.0 miles of trail covered (1017.9 hiked), 313.0 miles 'extra' hiking/biking. End of Day 195.





No comments:

Post a Comment