Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Day 197: Connecting Route (x3), Waushara County

Day 197: Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022

Total Miles hiked for the day: 5.1; Net Miles 0.0 

Location 1: The Connecting Route between the Wedde Creek Segment and the Mecan River Segment 
2.3 Miles of trail covered

After a couple of days off (literally just two days) we headed out tonight after work to sneak in a few road miles. We decided not to go all the way down to the south end of Marquette County, choosing instead to drive to Coloma and start filling in gaps at the south end of Waushara County. Our first stop was the short piece of road from the Wedde Creek Segment north to the Mecan River Segment, just north of Richford. We had biked this last August, even at the time knowing we would have to come back and hike it some day. Today was that day. 

It was already 6 pm when we snapped this photo. I don't remember the temperature, but it was warm and sunny, and our goal was to finish at least two CRs. We ended up doing three, though that last one was a real push. 


There are no lines on County Road JJ. But there is some nice, rustic scenery. 




After turning North on County Road B I quickly arrived in Richford, which despite its small stature appears to be doing well for itself. In addition to the R & R Candy Shoppe, there is also the Mt. Morris Mutual Insurance company, Johann's Bar & Grill, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner 7-days a week, and even a place to stay called the Mecan River Inn. The off-season rates are fabulous, so if you're coming through during the winter it's a great bargain.  


There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and I quickly reached the end of the road, making my way into the parking lot at the south trailhead. I drove back to get Theresa, and we headed north to the next stop. 


Location 2: The Connecting Route between the Greenwood Segment and the Bohn Lake Segment 
1.0 Miles of trail covered

Due to the poor parking at the north end of this one-mile piece of roadway, Theresa hauled me north and dropped me there before heading south to park at the end of the Greenwood Segment. 

I jogged across the very busy road and touched the sign before heading south. It was already after 7:00. 


This CR doesn't offer much in the way of interest. The best thing it had going for it was the shade, and the lack of traffic. Of course, if I had been here at noon rather than early evening I might have felt differently about the 'shade' thing. 


I have to admit I was fairly trotting along the road on this one. I wanted to get in one more piece of road if I could. Every mile meant we wouldn't have to come back that far south again. 

Location 3: The Connecting Route between the Bohn Lake Segment and the Deerfield Segment
1.8 Miles of trail covered

It was getting quite late, and we were at least an hour's drive from home. Theresa dropped me off at Bohn Lake and headed to the other end. 


The walk from Bohn Lake north goes uphill quite a bit on 9th Lane, about a 60-foot elevation change. I passed this narrow path through the pines, which someone had labeled, 'Running Bear Rd'. I'm sure there is a reason for that. 

So yes, Virginia, there are bears in central Wisconsin. 


I took a picture of this because it's the first car I saw since leaving the Richford area. 


There was nothing to protect me from the late evening glare here. 


And the shadows were much longer on County Road V than they had been two hours ago. 


Which is exactly where the battery died on my phone. I have no more photos of the day. I crossed paths with Theresa shortly after this photo after discovering that she had parked, not at the end of the connecting route where I had expected, but all the way down at the designated parking area, a good three tenths of a mile further down the road. It was the right thing to do, I guess, but it added a bit to the length of our walk. 

By the time she had reached the Bohn Lake sign the day was well and truly gone. We stopped long enough to eat a couple of sandwiches, then drove home in the dark. Tomorrow was another work day, and I start at 7 am. 

The tally:

  • No new Snails
  • Completed three short Connecting Routes
  • Completed maps 51 and 52
  • Converted 5.1 miles of biking to the 'hiked' category
  • 107.6 miles to go
Running Total: 1212.2 miles of trail covered (1029.4 hiked), 324.6 miles 'extra' hiking/biking. End of Day 197.

No comments:

Post a Comment